Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chlorine Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperpete

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
US
I have a problem with piping of 12.5% chlorine. It seems like the piping but especially fittings don't last a month before they start to leak. Even if this takes place within a contained area it is still a safety problem and the smell is bad. We are using PVC pipe. Long time ago (before me) the used stainless and I guess that worked even worse. The bleach manufacturer tells me that they use PVC pipes and fittings as well and they have the same problem. Somebody suggested Titanium tubing and fittings. The pressures are low (pressure<50psi) does anybody have any experience and/or suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

We did use piping for dosing water containing chlorine inside the cooling Tower. For that we used HDPE Piping with Fibre Glass Lining from outside (throughout the piping). Minor Leakage was there at flanged connection with Valves as Valve Flanges were of CI. We could not able to tight the nut bolts as it could have resulted in cracking of HDPE Flange. For that we used metallic ring (cut from plate of app 10mm thk) around the HDPE flange and long studs. It finally result in leakproof joint.

Hope, this will help you out. Else you can provide the Fibre Glass Lining on the joints of PVC pipes also from outside to avoid the leakage.

Yes, glass lining will work. You need to isolate the medium from the pipe, i.e. create an artifical passification layer.

Very good call &quot;rpa1980&quot;!

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back