Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chlorine storage room ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinniPEng

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2004
CA
Can anyone tell me what an appropriate ventilation rate would be for a small room (3'x8'x10'h) used to store two liquid chlorine storage tanks? The pool consultant's drawings indicate that ventilation is required (with no CFM or ACH rate given), with duct inlet at low level. Would this ductwork be required to be aluminum or SS, as opposed to galvanized?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked at a plant that used chlorine but it was all out doors, which is safest. Chlorine is much heavier than air so exhaust from the room should be at floor level. There is a Chlorine Institute that may have standards that you need. You may get more response on the Chemical Plant Design forum.

Hi WinniPEng,

In Saskatchewan, the Swimming Pool Regulations guidelines list a required 3ACH continous, and a 30ACH emergency ventilation rates in chlorine rooms. The 30 ACH emergency ventilation is to be activated by chlorine detector and is to activate alarms outside the room.

You can download the Swimming Pool Regulations at:

Health Canada also regulates pools.

I agree with Compositepro. I did a chlorine room for a Water Well Building, and we placed the exhaust fan 12" AFF and the intake louver around 60" AFF (if I recall correctly). The switch was located outside the room in order to start ventilating before it was occupied.

International Fire Code requires 1 CFM/square foot of floor area. The duct must be terminated to within 6 inches of the floor.

The fire code also requires continuous mechanical ventilation.

Don't forget to provide heating to avoid freezing. Read up un MSDS data on liquid chlorine (google). It is toxic and you would need to know beforehand how to handle leak.

Thanks for all the input.
I think I'll see if I can get a variable speed fan to provide 300 cfm on chlorine detection, and provide 30 cfm continuous. Now, rather than run a duct from outside to this storage room in the basement, I think it might make more sense to transfer air in from the adjacent pool equipment room - but, does this then defeat the purpose of having a separate chlorine storage room? Also, would the exhaust duct from the storage room require the corrosion protection of aluminum of SS ductwork?

Can't use transfer air, has to be outdoor air. Ductwork should be aluminum, SS actually performs very poorly around chlorine.

Pool chlorine rooms also have to be on an outside wall, as the only door into the room has to be from the outside. How is this room in the basement?

The location of the chlorine storage room was selected with the input of a pool consultant within our design team. The room does not have access from the outside. Could you (ChrisConley) please refer me to the relevant section of a code or standard I could forward on to the pool consultant? I'd like to think that they are aware of the codes regarding their scope of work. The code would need to be applicable to British Columbia.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back