Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Choice of motor for building sanding station

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilWhitaker

Computer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi - I am building a small sanding station for sanding wood. It will consist of a small motor directly coupled to an 8" sanding disk, turning at about 3000 rpm
I am looking to find out suggestions for a cheap and available motor to drive the disk. What do I need to look out for? should it be an induction motor? will a washing machine motor do? How many horsepower?

Regards
Neil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestions/Questions:
It depends if you happen to be interested in the variable speed. In that case, the motor needs to be rated for the inverter duty and it is more expensive. Normal one- or three-phase motor runs at approximately 1800RPM and 3600RPM single speed (less expensive) or two speed (more expensive). A universal motor could also be proper and suit the speed control; especially, if needed above 3600RPM. The size of the motor about 1.5HP appears to be sufficient, unless you are pressing on the sander very hard. The washing machine motor could potentially fit there. It depends on its ratings. If you consider a speed drive and seeing some available products, check the attached web sites.
1. Are you sure that 3000RPM is a suitable speed for various sanding? See
for speed 900RPM of pneumatic 8" sander/polisher
2. However, there is a polisher/sander with variable speed drive of 115VAC, 1-phase, 10A, (~1.5HP) motor as you can see on
3. Another one uses variable speed 0-1000RPM, and 3000RPM with 120VAC, 8A, (~1.25HP) 1-phase motor as can be seen on
4. This one has also variable speed 115VAC, 6.8A, (~1HP) 1-phase motor as may be seen on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back