Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Choices in Software for Stress Analysis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankd

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2003
US
My only experience with Pro/E was using Ansys. What are the preferred software packages for performing stress analysis when using Pro/E??

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hai,
if you are intrested try the hypermesh tool for importing the pro/e files and do the preprocessing.for post processing you can choose either ansys/nastran...,this is only an suggestion.
regards,
prakash

Pro/e willl import directly into ansys and their other software Design Space. Both of theses packages on version 7 are begining to look similar. Check their website out but I have no complaints.

I use Pro/E for modelling and Pro/FEM for Mesh construction. Pro/FEM allows good control over the mesh at local points with hard points and curves for loading. Models can be meshed using solids or shells and the mesh size controlled locally or globally. Material can also be setup in Pro/FEM using text files. I then export the mesh to Cosmos/M and apply loads and constraints in Cosmos, I never found a way of getting the loads and constraints to export into Cosmos. There is a trick to getting the file into Cosmos because the version I am running insists on naming the mesh export file with a *.cos filename which
Cosmos does not understand, the file created is a GFM format file so you need to rename the file to a *.gfm filename. The Pro/FEM module and Cosmos technique is extremely stable and fast and I have been using this for 5 years now. Pro/FEM can also export to othe FEA systems such as Ansys, Nastran, Patran, Supertab etc. Pro/FEM can also run your preferred solver from within Pro/FEM either online or in the background but I have never used this option. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back