Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choose a Infrared Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ger372

Electrical
Sep 13, 2002
MX

I am in a cycle combined power plant with 8 units and 960 MW. What infrared camera do you suggest for predictive maintenance to the electrical equipment.
excuse my grammar.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest as a first step taking a Level I Thermogapher course. This will give you the knowledge you need to make the choice of what camera is right for you. There are now more cameras then ever making the decision that much harder.

MWMONTY is correct. Dont make a decision until you attend a Level I course. I'm glad I did, because you might get something that doesn't fit your exact needs.

There are a lot of good cameras (new and used) on the market so do your homework and choose a manufacturer that has a good service reputation. You might have to send your camera in for repairs someday so find out where their service center is located and if they have loaner units available. There might be only one service center in the world that can do the work so keep that in mind if your across the globe from them.

Greg F

Training from a manufacturer is sometimes available but Call Snell Infrared in Montpelier Vermont and they can help you. I have never attended any of there courses but met John Snell over 20 years ago at my first Level 1 training. He is knowledgeable and not driven by the almighty dollar.

It all depends on the level of accuracy, sensitivity, resolution and several other factors including on how much you can afford. So try to know your requirements first and then go ahead with purchasing the camera. You can get fairly decent images with the E Series but then the P series and S Series have 4 times better resolution as compared to the E Series. This means that objects that appear out of focus on the E Series could be 4 times clearer on the P or S series which no doubt helps a lot in better report generation. Even the fact that you can get normal digital images on the P and S series takes you miles ahead because the E series hasn't got this option.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back