Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing a stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

medontknow

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2002
I need assistance in choosing a motor to move a system approx. 3mm/sec. The weight of the system is 9kg (footprint of the unit is 150mm X 200 mm) . I probably want to have this unit move from standing still to moving in 1-2 seconds. The wheel material is a neoprene rubber. The surface this would ride on is smooth wood or plastic surface. Can anyone assist me?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

joedontknow, is this a pinch / nip roller assembly or just a wheel moving a weight around? Your going to have to give more information about your mechanical system and what your trying to do for me to better help you out.

Please get into more detail for me.

Thank you,

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

The system consists of a 4 wheel cart with a 150mm x 200mm footprint. The cart moves weight around. The cart's motion should move along a flat surface at about 3mm/sec; forward and reverse. The weight of the cart is approximately 9kg. An umbilical cord is attached to the cart which consists of the lines for the motor driver. Thank you!!!

What about using a DC gear motor? Your subject does say

>Choosing a stepper motor

so were you looking to size a stepper for this? Reason you want to use stepper? How exactly do you want to motorize the cart?

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Suggestion: It appears that more info could lead to the proper solution. Is there a need for speed control, position control, high accuracy, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back