Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing the MOSFET for a flyback converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabioedl

Electrical
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have to design a converter that input voltage that varies from 12 to 48 Volts DC. The output has to be 24 Volts DC at 150 Amps. I am thinking to design a flyback converter. My question is: At 12 Volts input, the primary peak current is about 600 Amps. How can I choose a MOSFET that is able to switch that much current?

Thanks all,

Fabio Pereira

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greetings:

Mosfets are easily paralled from what i have read.
So you can pick a large standard mosfet and
add enough in parallel to do the trick.
Also some companies make very high power devices
POWEREX and IXYS I think make them.

Fabioedl,

You are probably better looking at an IGBT for that sort of current, otherwise consider using parallel MOSFETs. IR have a good range of high current, low voltage MOSFETs intended for automotive type applications.

For that application a flyback converter ist the worst choice you can make. You will end up with a lot of problems even if you are able to find Mosfets of that rating.

There are lots of other topologies more suitable for your application. Try to find some basic literature.

Design a converter of rating which can be achieved without paralleling of devices and then connect several of these converters in parallel.Operate the different converters with phase sgifted clock signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back