Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chrome Molly Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdz

Materials
Jan 25, 2005
US
I have a customer asking for a Chrome Moly Steel casting, and I need to figure out what the chemistry is so we can quote it or an equivalent. The only reference they could give me was to another part they get for a similar application and it is a Nordberg part, material is listed as 60 C Chrome Moly - Heat Treated to 302-352 Bhn. Does anyone have any ideas to a cross reference or what this material may be commonly known as?

thanks in advance

Bob Dzugan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
arunmaro is right but this reference is for steel.
For casting the reference is ASTM A220 and A602.

the problem with this material is that there is only mechincal performance as requirement. the is a lot of chemical composition possibilities to get this material.

Do you have any additionnal informations for this?

Normally casting buyers that I have met specify the grade and hardness desired. This has worked well with both of us in using the AISI grades .

Hydroformer is right about GMAW.
I don't like this process for root pass but as this process limite the Hydrogen in the weld it is good for this application. Note that this kind of material is sensible to Cold crack.

note that the proportion of M and Cr is really important for the determination of the welding process and parameters.

It would be best to select a welding consumable after the chemical composition, and, of course, mechanical roperties of the base metal, have been determined.

As Weldteck advise you, Chemical composition is important. more over with some exess of componant you can have a material close to case hardening steels.

If you give us the chemical composition, I sure that some on or myself can give you some advise.

bobdz,

What is the product your customer is seeking? Castings require patterns and the type of part will determine the correct ASTM referance for castings. For example pressure retention casting is much diferant than a decretive or structal casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back