Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CI to DO connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sant007

Civil/Environmental
Jul 13, 2005
US
HI

We have a sewer forcemain retrofit situation in which we are trying to connect ex. 24" CI pipe to new 24" DI pipe (force main with 50 psi pressure). We are using solid sleeve to connect the CI to DI pipe but want to restrain the whole assembly. I am aware that it is not possible to restrain CI pipe completely but is there some what restrain system (coupling) avaibale than not having restrain at all.

Any thoughts would be greatlt appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I noticed you had also apparently posted this inquiry on the Waste... forum but had gotten no response. It would probably help prospective respondents if you provided a little more information. e.g. what exactly is the outside diameter, wall thickness, specific joining system, and condition etc. if known or could be determined of the old 24" gray cast iron line to which you are connecting? Also, exactly what "restraint" do you feel is necessary for the (mechanical joint?) "solid sleeve" (is there an unblocked thrust focus of some sort i.e. bend, valve,reducer etc. nearby in the old or new piping, or are you for some reason worried about the sleeve somehow wobbling loose in the backfill, or what?)

sant007,
CI pipe can certainly be restrained. Bell clamps and tie rods work for both DIP and CIP. I guess you're suggesting using MJ restraint glands (mega lugs if you will) for the side with new DIP but don't want to use them on the older CIP. That might be a good choice, but the material manufacturers of the MJ gland restraints have products that work on CIP. Use tie rods if you're worried ... but maybe the older CIP is in bad enough shape that even these would be a problem?

You may also be interested, of course depending on the era etc. of your existing piping, in the previous thread, "Lead caulked joints on C.I. pipe".

Thanks guys. Bell clamps with tie rods is what I was thinking about. I did check with few reps and I think I will go with it. I can not recommend Megalug on CI just because it is not recommended by manufacturer and being engineer I can not s[ecify it on my sealed and signed drawings. And megalug's success on CI completely depends on condition of CI pipe which we really have no idea about.

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back