Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIP velocity in tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanney

Industrial
Aug 8, 2012
KH
Hi all, not sure this is the correct forum to ask, thanks in advance if there's an answer for this

i am checking on a beverage plant design where i am to determine the cleaning liquid velocity in the pipelines and tanks are flowing at a minimum of 1.5m/s on its surface. following are the information

rough plant design: chemical tank-->pipe-->pump#1-->pipe-->tank-->pipe-->pump#2-->pipe--> back to chemical tank

pipeline diameter = 76.2mm
pump#1 flowrate given is at 40 tonnes per hour
pump#2 flowrate given is at 30 tonnes per hour

which makes the velocity to be at 2.43 m/s for pump #1 and 2.1 m/s for pump #2
tank has sprayball in it
hope i did not make any mistake yet, now the question

1) can i use the same equation for calculating the flow velocity in a pipe on flow velocity in the tank?
2) if the answer is yes on 1), is it safe to assume that the the whole system has >1.5m/s of chemicals going through its surface?

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The velocity in piping is a simple calculation. Q = VA

where
Q = flow in cubic feet per sec;
A = pipe area in square feet; and
V = fluid velocity in feet per second.

The velocity in the tank is much more complicated because the spray ball is increasing the fluid velocity as the fluid is discharging from the spray ball.

Your best reference for the fluid velocity in the tank is from the spray ball manufacturer. That firm probably has some empirical data on the use of the spray balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back