Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Circumferential, Radial & Axial Stresses , Output Results Algor Autodesk Mechanical Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boghi1990

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2005
CA
Hi,

I have run a structural analysis to investigate the Circumferential, Radial & Axial Stresses in a pipe wall. In the stresses output results, there are listed several types of stresses(Von Mises Stresss, Principal Stresses and Tensor Stresses). Which of these do I need to look for in order to get the circumferential, radial and axial stresses?

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

One Point

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One Point,

The tensor stresses x,y and z match the Algors GUI axes.

I'll refer to the axes on Algor's GUI:

Lets assume you have set your model up so the axis of your pipe is z, x direction is in the radial direction (90 deg to the axis of your pipe). This means y direction is also at 90 deg to the pipe axis but it is 90 deg from y axis.

Lets also suppose you are looking down the y-axis at your pipe and z-axis is pointing to your right. This means you are looking at the pipe from the side (assume a straight pipe here). This means x-axis is straight up.

This means in this situation, if you select Tensor stresses in the x-direction and look at the surface of the pipe from the side, you will be looking at circumferential stresses at that location.

If you select Tensor stresses in the z-direction and look at the surface of the pipe, you will be looking at axial stresses at that location.

If you select Tensor stresses in the y-direction and look at the surface of the pipe, you will be looking at radial stresses at that location. As a sanity check, if you have internal pipe pressure and zero external pressure, these radial stresses should match the pressures at the ID and OD respectively.

I suggest you use a known case to check the above. BTW if you display the mesh, chg selection to Nodes,select Tensor ZZ then move the cursor around, you will see the stresses. If you rt click a node, you can choose which axis or Inquire results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back