Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citric acid solution for membrane cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtree

Bioengineer
Nov 28, 2015
AU
I want to seek your opinion on the grade of citric acid for CIP in a potable water UF plant.

I have taken the line with our supplier that the liquid citric acid should be food grade citric powder mixed with food grade water(potable) with records and standards to a HACCP standard.
They are happy to supply that grade to that standard but most of the competitors don't /won't supply that standard and or course are able to supply much cheaper product.
As far as i can tell many utilities are even using industrial grade product and say that its only for membrane cleaning and therefore it does not matter.

In reality things happen, valves leak etc and potantially some citric could end up in the potable water. Dilution will be enormous and there would be unlikely to be a problem other than perception.

Is it reasonable to expect a full food grade standard?

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What does the manufacturer of the membranes recommend?
Using something too strong could void any warranties. On the flip, too weak and the membranes won't get clean.
Check your O&M manuals.

I wouldn't rely on a supplier to tell you what you need.

Don't understand the incentive to cut corners. If you look at the production cost, the amount spent for food grade materials will be miniscule to the overall cost.

If something goes wrong when you cut corners, the consequences will be severe. Imagine trying to defend yourself in a court of law. There will be no acceptable excuse. Your supervisor will even question your actions and throw you under the bus.

If the citric acid solution contains 2 mg/L of contaminant, that would be equivalent to just eight drops of contaminant in a 55-gallon barrel. It does not take much to contaminate.

The food grade materials should have been manufactured with better quality equipment and stricter quality controls. That is the reason for the premium.

[link file:///C:/Users/Mathews/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/K29JKW2G/nfc_are_your_food_facility_chemicals_safe.pdf]Link[/url]

Maybe some people have misunderstood my question.
We are using food grade because that is what i have requested and we are happy to pay the price being charged by the supplier. The same suppliere has been suppling us for a few years.

The supplier who is a national brand has come back to me recently and said they are happy to supply fully certified food grade if thats what i want but none of their other utility customers use food grade and maybe we might want the cheaper industrial grade.
In the big picture the cost difference makes negligible change to cost of treated water production.

I believe that it should be food grade product that is being used but obviously many in the industry either have not thought about it or are buying purely on cost.

bimr by your response I take it you agree with me even if many others don't.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back