Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix vs Remote Desktop vs Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caprig4005

Aerospace
Dec 5, 2011
US
With everything going on in the world today, my employer has allowed us to work from home. Right now I am working on some design and modeling documents but if this drags out much longer I will need to have access to CATIA. My manager has tasked me with getting some information regarding our options for using CATIA from home. Our options are to use Citrix and access via a fake desktop version of CATIA, using Remote Desktop to remote into the desktop hardware we have in the office, or using a lap-top that can run CATIA. All of these options will require the use of a VPN to get licenses.

Does any one have any experience with these options and the ranking of the options? I am just trying to get some opinions so that we can make better decisions. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ryan Capriglione
NX/CATIA Power User

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Little Cthulhu,

We current run multiple workstations that each have CATIA installed on each machine. We then pull licenses from a server for individual use during the day.

Ryan Capriglione
NX/CATIA Power User

Hi, we've been working remotely for about 3 weeks now and here's my 2c:
1) We use Remote Desktop to log into the work PC. So long as the work PC is left switched-on, it works great. We dont have a PDM system so that's not an issue for us.
2) If you don't have multiple monitors at home but do at work, then make sure you bring one home with you or it's like tying an arm behind your back.
3) I'm not a spaceball user (I'm just a mfg planner) but if you are then Remote Desktop might not be the best...
4) A direct connection between home computer and your modem/router can make a *big* difference compared to Wi-Fi alone so try and buy/borrow a cable long enough. Our entire city went on lockdown the same time so Best Buy and Frys ran out of 50ft CAT-5 cables pretty quick.
5) If your organisation is small, then a workaround for the license server is to use CATIA's Nodelock function and 'lock' a licence to your machine. That way your machine wont need to frequently connect to license server to check license status. You can nodelock for up to 30 days but if there are more users than licenses then only lock it for a few hours or a day or whatever and communicate to other users what you are doing. We had a drafter take one for a month and insist it was 'his' 24/7 until mgt told him to play nice.
6) Be patient. With your machine, your co-workers and your IT team. Its a rough time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back