Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil Engineer wanting Structural Engineering career 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackn

Civil/Environmental
Nov 14, 2012
GB
Hi everyone,

I am a civil engineer working in the UK with the following background:

MEng (Hons) Civil & Structural Engineering (2008)

1 year experience as a graduate structural engineer designing steel framed retail stores and concrete pad foundations
2.5 years as a civil engineer project managing highway and bridge schemes. Current experience in waste management and pharmaceutical sectors.

My academic background is structural engineering and I worked for a small structural engineering firm for 7 months before being made redundant. Since then I have been working as a civil engineer for 2 large companies (50,000+ employees worldwide). I have tried to get in to structural firms but have not been successful.

I am currently working on the ICE chartership but would rather do the IStructE route as this is where my general passion and interest lies.

Anyone give me advice/help as to how I can get back into structural engineering? I've tried looking for structural experience with the current company I'm at but this is proving difficult.

I've had a couple of interviews with structural firms but they require me to have more experience before being considered.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I actually made this transition 5-6 years ago. My second job was in civil but after 1 year I knew I didn't want to be in that field and wanted to get to structural (my first job was construction).

I'm in the states and don't know what ICE or IstructE is so I won't comment. I can tell you what worked for me. I got really involved in the professional society, ASCE while I was working as a civil. I did what I could to get to know as many structural engineers through this organization that I could and began to build a good network in my local area.

After a little while, I started asking many of the closest colleagues I had in this organization about opportunities they knew of to cross over into structural. By this time though, they knew much more about me than just my experience and were able to make some pretty strong recommendations for me to their contacts which eventually gave me the chance to make the switch.

That's really the ticket I think. You probably don't have the experience to find a job in the structural field the traditional route...which is why you are striking out by applying around. You need to establish some other criteria that will make someone consider you and make them want YOU, not just your experience. For me, it was getting involved in this organization and volunteering as a committee chair and helping to plan other events. My reputation got me the opportunity to work as a structural, not my experience.

Expect to start over though on the pay scale. Structural is a specialty form of civil...no better than another field but more complex than some. It requires a lot of learning before advancing. Yes you have experience as an engineer, but you will essentially be starting over when you make the switch.

Good luck. it's possible to do but difficult. In the end though it is very worth it.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Hi Jackn

I'm CEng MICE but happen to work in the in-house bridges & structures design group of a public corporation in the UK.

You say you're working towards MICE and if you're working for a major employer then they should have an obligation to your professional development? I'd try asking them for a placement in their structures department or a secondment as you could say you need the design experience to fulfill your ICE development objectives before you're able to sit the chartership review.

I would also suggest you apply for positions with governmental organisations such as local authorities, Highways Agency, Network Rail, etc as they employ their own structural engineers. Your project management experience in highways and bridges would seem relevant. Once you're in there should be more opportunities for internal moves which are not always advertised in the outside job market.

On the relevance of going for MICE or MIStructE I'm often told it makes no difference if you're one or the other which is true in my experience of transport/infrastructure/industrial though architectural/building consultancies may be more choosy. I agree that you may have to manage your salary expectations but it may not be so easy if you have personal commitments.

Good luck
SK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back