Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

civil engineering related associations/bodies/societies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazeb Mirza

Structural
Apr 4, 2020
PK
hi, can anyone suggest me well known and active civil engineering related associations/bodies/societies membership (preferably free hehehe) for membership? According to the engineering council of my country, I will be blessed with a CPD point for membership.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CPD = Continuing Professional Development

I don't know if there are any free ones; I think the point of being a member is to fund the society that programs events and provides resources — that labour is often voluntary and the costs do add up.

There is obviously ACSE or CSCE depending on which side of the border you are on. And there may be structural engineering (SEA__) in your nearby area. There are also material specific societies (AISC or ACI) and also niche groups for building envelopes, passive house, etc. that may be worthwhile. I have been a member of my SEA for a couple years now. They provide free resources and nearly free admission to lectures, as well as discounts on courses. I have also tried out an ACI membership to take advantage of some discounted courses and reference material. Not sure if I will continue with the ACI membership, as it appears most of the coursework they do offer appears on YouTube.

I think everyone searches for the low-cost solution to acquiring the necessary CPD/PDH/CED credit. It's an admirable journey, but I think you can find some benefit in paying for the resources and becoming involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back