Civil/Structural engineering opportunities in canada 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidou

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2023
DZ
Hello,
I'm moving to Canada this summer and I would like to get a job as a Civil engineer or something similar if possible.
I have a PhD in civil engineering and I work as a university associate professor (5 years of experience), no experience in the engineering industry, only in academia.
I would like to get a job in the engineering industry since the academic job market is extremely competitive in Canada:
- Could you recommend any reference materials, such as textbooks (RC Design, Steel Design, Construction, ...) or Local codes, to familiarize myself with these practices in Canada.
- Are there any significant differences in design practices between USA and Canada (I'm kinda familiar with design practice in USA).
- As a foreign degree holder, are there any short courses or certificates in Canada that you would recommend to boost my chances (certificates that are appreciated/requested by employers)?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Sidou,

Welcome to Canada!

After you settle, your first goal should be to register with a provincial engineering governing body. You won't be able to practice as an "Engineer" in Canada unless you are a member of one of the provincial associations. Every province and territory in Canada has its own independent engineers/geoscientist association. I'm not sure where you are planning to settle but I've provided a link to the British Columbia and Ontario's chapters below. A quick search in Google will provide you with links to other provincial chapters.

The primary role of the engineering associations is to oversee and govern the practice of engineering for each province. If you have your degree from a credited Canadian university, becoming a member is pretty easy, but for individuals from other countries, there is a process in places where they will review your education and work history and will provide you with comments on case-by-case bases. Frankly, your situation is not unique and there is a system in place to facilitate your membership in the association. I would suggest you get in touch with the association of the province you are planning to settle and they will guide you through their process. You can get that started right now.

As for standards and codes, the list is long. It depends on your area of practice. I'm in the bridge world, so we often reference the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CSA-S6), but there is National Building Codes, Provincial Building Codes, concrete and steel codes, wood codes etc....

One encouraging word, you are moving to Canada at the right time. There is a shortage of skilled labour as we see mass vacancies due to retirement and growth and there is a process in place to help individuals coming from overseas. Just be prepared you may have to take exams or upgrade some of your courses depending in the area of your practice. The association can guide you through this process.

I also advise you to find a good professional/personal mentor. Someone that can guide you through this process as it may seem taunting at times. There are mentors available through the associations as well community support groups.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Welcome... other than winters, it not too bad a country. You may have difficulty in registering due to experience. I know Manitoba has refused to accept foreign degrees for equivalence and have required added courses to comply. Ram, and old engineer here had to complete some courses... so he went for his masters. The U of M had accepted his creds, but the professional association didn't.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back