Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Civil: Structural PE Examination Materials (Civil Breadth, Structural Depth) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbassila

Structural
Oct 29, 2013
US
Are all of the reference materials listed in the following link an absolute requirement to excel on the civil breadth, structural depth PE examination?

Is there a comprehensive study guide containing all of the material that needs to be reviewed before sitting for the civil breadth, structural depth PE examination?

If so please include reference link or ISBN number.

Thank you,

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I took the Civil breadth, Structural depth PE exam last year, so I can give you my experience as a data point. The CERM, that fegenbush listed, is pretty much all you need to get you through the morning exam. It's an excellent reference. It won't do tons of good for you for the structural depth portion, and you should expect to need most of the references. If I had to list them in order of importance, I'd roughly go with:

AISC Steel Construction Manual
ACI 318
IBC
ASCE 7
NDS
ACI 530
PCI
AASHTO

I went in without the PCI Design Handbook, or the AASHTO Bride Design Spec, and did fine. There was perhaps only one or two questions regarding each that required the reference (there were a couple of simple conceptual questions on prestressing). I'd consider the top 4 references I listed critical. Expect 2 or 3 questions on wood design that require the manual, and a similar amount for masonry. Whether or not you think that justifies purchasing them depends on how confident you are on the meat and potatoes.

I took the Civil Breadth, Structural Depth in 2007.

Best advice I received: Use the Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam by Michael R. Lindeburg, PE. I studied from it, tabbed it extensively and it was my "go to" reference for the exam.

I lived with that reference book for months up to the exam. Know it!

....make sure you take an approved calculator. Someone got thrown out of my exam for using a simple calculator (similar to a free one you may receive at a trade show)! Practice problems with your calculator. Know your conversions!

Good luck!

I'd second Mastruc except that I'd rank the AASHTO book a little higher. I had about 5 questions on bridge stuff during my depth portion of the exam.

The only thing to consider about not having a reference, are you willing to leave questions on the table simply by not having or not spending the time with the references? I understand the cost...I paid for all my books myself...but the cost of having to take the exam a second time is much higher.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back