CLAMP CONNECTOR Vs. PIPE FLANGE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prabir

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2002
SA
Hello Everybody,

Our company is using clamp connectors( Graylock,Techlok make) for pipe to pipe connections in pipelines for quite sometime as these are easy to install compared to conventional pipe flanges.This works well in pipelines where temperature is less than 200 deg.F.
We now want to use these connectors in Plant piping in place of pipe flanges where application temperaure will be much higher say 600 deg.F.
We feel at this temperature connectors may not be able to give leaktight joint.
Whether anyone has experience of using these connectors in
Plant piping? If so, whether any problem?

Regards,
Prabir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clamp connections are very strong connectors considering the space required when comparing to similar flange. For the same reason these are also used for Wellhead and Xmas tree connections and oil well flowlines, also with high temperatures although I'm not sure if they reach 600F.
I don't see why these should not be at least as good as flanges also for high temperatures.

Check with the vendors.

According to Grayloc ( their connections have service experience up to 1700F!!

regards
Mogens

There are no problems with using these connectors at 600°F. I have personally used them at temps up to 1100°F without problems related to joint integrity. One item that you might want to consider when dealing with higher temperatures is the possibility of thermally shocking the seal rings and causing the joint to leak during upset conditions. This can be avoided through the use of a thermal sleeve separating the seal ring from the process fluid, and allows for gradual warm up of the joint.

Hi prabir (Mechanical)

I agree with Mogen and Reichertc.

Note: Piping Standard Specification included temperature 400 deg. F, 600 deg. F, and Pressure 900 psi, 1500 psi, 2500 psi and above for CLAMP CONNECTOR for the Services.

Leonard@thill.biz

We use Graylock Flanges on a 4" class 1500 flange series jacketed piping system that operates at 600°F and pressures of 800 to 1500 Psig. There are about 40 such systems in service. There have been only one or two gasket leaks at the Graylock in 20 years srvice. These leaks were due to bad seal rings. At this time I think 50% have been resurfaced or replaced due to mechanical damage in handling. These flange are subject to very high mechanical loads at times, especially during heat up.
If there is any doubt in the design check out the Taper-Lock
Flange System.

Hi unclesyd(materials)
Thanks for the information. Tell me where can I find information about Taper-Lock flange system.

Hi prabir (Mechanical)

Search Google:

Texas Flange Wide Variety of Industrial Flanges in Carbon, Stainless, and Alloys

Pipe Flanges of any Alloy Sifco sells all types of flanges and has a full service machine shop

Flange Manufacturers Browse exporter catalogs online. Forbes Magazine "Best of the Web".

Pipe Flange Kits Bolts, nuts, non-asbestos gaskets used with 150# flanges

TAPER LOCK FLANGE Products Shop by Category: Furniture (4116 store offers) , Watches (2765 store offers) , Freezers (83 products) and more...

Leonard@thill.biz

Hi Prabir. We offer standard and custom designed clamp connectors interchangeable with Grayloc and would be happy to answer any of your questions. I am glad to see that everyone has had positive experiences with this robust connector.

Regardless of which type of connection you have, if you have not controlled the bending moments at the connection, the connection will leak. Displacements and moments are smaller at lower temperatures. As the temperature of the line increases so do the bending moments on the line. This basic fact is overlooked when evaluating why a joint connection leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back