Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clamps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyeng

Aerospace
Sep 12, 2007
US
very random...but does anyone have a very rough idea how many Adel clamps are used on a midsized commercial aircraft? & how often they get replaced, if ever? very rough idea is all that is needed. - Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was going to have a look in something like a 757 IPC and look through the fuel section, and start counting. But thankfully i came to my senses. Cant think of any other way really to get an estimate of any worth, rather than just a pure guess.

The IPC is a good start - but try this: go to the front where it has "by part number" and look for MS21919, that will take you to the chapters and figures which only have them, should narrow it down a bit. Fuel definitely, hydraulics (landing gear, flight controls) definitely, wiring supports - maybe.

This should work well, unless it is a g0%%@mn BACR part number; then of course, find out what the BACR for a cushion clamp is and then proceed accordingly.

If you are lucky, the front of the IPC might even have quantity used, which should cut down your research time immensely.

der8110 had a good idea about the IPC index, and some additional info for you is that most Boeing numbers that start with BACC10 (but not all) will be clamps. If you have access to the MyBoeingFleet website you can check out these specs. However, I did not note any BACR parts that are clamps. Lots of resistors, rivets, relays, receptacles, rings, retainers, etc, but no clamps.

Fats, Adel is one manufacturer of strap clamps, often shaped like the letter 'a', used to secure tubing and wire bundles to the airframe so they won't chafe or resonate.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

To confuse the issue more, Pratt for one has their own p/n's as well. They've got some really trick ones that lock in place as you install them, so you don't have to fight the fastener. Downside is they're expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back