Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarification on Cross Ties in Walls as per ACI Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abo Sa2er

Civil/Environmental
Aug 8, 2020
SA
Dear collegues,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently reviewing our project's structural design, and I have a question regarding the use of cross ties in concrete walls.

From my research in the ACI manual, I've noted that cross ties are explicitly mentioned for boundary elements of walls. However, I couldn't find specific requirements for their use in areas of the walls that are outside of the boundary elements.

Could you kindly provide clarification on whether cross ties are necessary for sections of the walls beyond the boundary elements according to the ACI code? If so, I would appreciate guidance on the specific code references or conditions under which they should be used.

Your insight on this matter would be extremely valuable as I consider submitting a Request for Information (RFI) to streamline our project requirements.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Eng.Ghazwan Asaad PE,PMP

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=31617541-87cb-4131-91cb-9d569e8097e5&file=MSAR-SAB-PA-IC-ZN1-1BN02-STL-SPD-STR-3004-00.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abo Sawer said:
Could you kindly provide clarification on whether cross ties are necessary for sections of the walls beyond the boundary elements according to the ACI code?

No, they are not required. ACI gives you two methods for determining whether ties are required:

a) An evaluation of the compressive strain expected in the rebar.

b) Whether the amount of reinforcing required exceeds a maximum.

If you read the ACI sections pertaining to shear walls, you'll discover the relevant clauses in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back