Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class 4 ROV torque tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

murr52

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2006
I can't seem to find how accurately the Class 4 torques tools for manual valves can be controlled. Most of the companies who manufacture them don't show how precisely the actual output torque can be regulated.

Any one know if its typical for a ROV operator to accidentally or unknowingly spike the torque tool over 100 ft-lbf or 50 ft-lbf?
if his target was 200 ft-lbf or 1200 ft-lbf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My very limited experience with a tool, the torque can be controlled very accurately and the operator would have to try and spike the torque over the set point. On the system I saw, the operator would set a torque limit, and then control the fluid flow and pressure to the tool to control it. As soon as the torque hit the limit, the system would cut it out. We were controlling the torque in about 10 Nm increments, up to 300 Nm. Spikes were limited to about 2-3 Nm over the set point as far as I can remember. However we were being VERY careful with the operation we were doing.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back