Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Class I Standpipes on Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksprinkler

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2009
US
I have a fire inspector requesting that Class I Standpipe outlets be placed on the roof a structure such that all points of the structure are within 150 ft. of a connection. It has always been my understanding that NFPA 14 requires standpipes within 150' of every floor level for non-sprinkler buildings, and 200' of sprinklered buildings, but roofs do not need to meet these requirements because they are not occupied space. If it were a simple matter of taking each of my existing standpipes to the roof, it would not be much of a problem (especially since most of them are already there). However, the roof of this structure is cut up into various areas of flat roof and pitched roofs. There are several flat areas that are quite a distance from the nearest stanpipe, and are completely surrounded by pitched roof. Has anyone encountered an official requiring anything like this? Can someone provide some insight into the NFPA 14 requirement, or give me a logical argument that may help explain the intent of the code for this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ask him nicely to give you what code/ standard he is referenceing and what section.
than if it is produced you can read an dipute if needed.

maybe local admendment??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back