Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Class II division 1 ( but according IEC Code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engels

Electrical
May 19, 2002
BR
We are installing a power systems (motors and lighting devices ) inside a Class II , Div.1 locations , but our purchaser call about installation using IEC not NEC Standards.

We are reading about and think that we can use cable trays with cover and cables inside it without armored sheath, in this type of sites, but I have a doubt: What happens during a short-circuit conditions? When the surface temperature of cables can reaches about 200 - 250 Centigrade Degrees.

In the area considered will be handled sulfur powder, and according IEC Standards the temperature of ignition, of this component are 190 Centigrade Degrees.

Please inform if I'm sure.
A. Pinto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Since you have not gotten any other replys, I'll share my expieriences with you. You did not mention which country in Europe you are working in. The reason is that Germany has different procedures than most of the rest of Europe in the area of grounding. Most other countries use a "Served Wire Armour" in the cables used. The connectors used then continue this ground path into the boxes which typically have brass plates with tapped holes to accept the cable connector. I think you may have some trouble if you use unarmoured cables. I am not sure how you plan on completeing the required ground path. I do know in Germany they allow unarmoured cables, however they are the exception to most of Europe. Yuo may want to talk to on of the Vendors who specialize in IEC products like Stahl, or Hawke. One other thing we have run across is that the motors used in Zone 2 areas need to have a temperature sensor in the windings. This would be like our TEEP motors. It is not terribly expensive to buy these in new motors, but it is alot of trouble to have to add them later. Hope this helps. George Griggs
Sr Process Controls Engineer

Would you please direct me to any information we can find on the issue of "What are the steps/determinations that employer need to follow to classify the Electrical Class & Division? FOR CLASS 1 DIVISION 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back