Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Class II Standpipe Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

orator

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2011
SA
International Building Code (2012) section 905.3 gives the requirements of Class III & Class I standpipes. Section 905.4, 905.5, 905.6 gives the location of Class I, Class II and Class III standpipes respectively. IBC fails to give the requirements of Class II standpipe. Where exactly Class II standpipe ( with 1.5 inch hose at 4.5 bars pressure at most remote hose connection) can be provided. Please help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure if this helps any

From the 2009

905.5 Location of Class II standpipe hose connections. Class II standpipe hose connections shall be accessible and located so that all portions of the building are within 30 feet (9144 mm) of a nozzle attached to 100 feet (30 480 mm) of hose. [F]

Sections 905.5.1 through 905.5.3 specify the requirements for Class II standpipe hose connections. Class II standpipe systems are primarily intended for use by the building occupants.

This section for Class II standpipes does not specifically require the hose station and uses the term "hose connection" with a location based upon 100 feet (30 480 mm) of hose. However, the definition of Class II and III standpipes and Section 7.3.3.1 of NFPA14 specifically require hose stations. Section 905.2 specifically references NFPA 14.

Although NFPA 14 requires a hose station, the decision as to whether a hose station is required may be one that is affected by the policies and procedures of the local fire department. It should be remembered that Class II hose connections and hose stations are intended for occupant use and not necessarily for fire department use. The fire department typically uses the Class I connection that is compatible with 21/2 inch (64 mm) hose.

Is your question general or are you looking to install them?

If install is the building sprinkled and what type of occupancy?

Class II standpipe hose connections shall be accessible and shall be located so that all portions of the building are within 130 ft travel distance of a 1-1/2 inch hose connection

The only occupancy in the 2012 IBC that requires a Class II standpipe are an A-1 or A-2 occupancy with an occupant load > 1000 (Section 905.5.1).

Given that the IBC is going to require sprinkler protection once your occupant load exceeds 300 or 100 for an A-1 or A-2, respectively, I waive the Class II standpipe and instead go with a combination Class I standpipe and sprinkler system in these buildings. I'm already authorized as a code official to eliminate the hose and nozzles so what do I need these Class II valve for? ANSWER: I don't in my jurisdiction.

Plus, the removal of Class II, especially in A occupancies, falls in line with the get out / stay out philosophy. With the sprinklers overhead, do we really want the un-trained thinking they could handle a fire of todays growth?

R/
Matt

Thanks for the answers.
Cdafd, The building is sprinklered (mixed occupancy - Group A2,B). Total height of the building = 15.5 meters (Ground Plus 2 Storey). Section 905.5.1 through 905.5.3 gives the locations (not requirements) of Class II standpipe. Section 905.2 reference NFPA 14 but again for installation (not for requirement.
What I understand now is, Class II standpipe is part of Class III standpipe. It cannot be provided separately. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Stookeyfpe / Matthew, Even I think Class II hose stations (Fire hose cabinets) are not required when the building is sprinklered. Only Class I hose connections at Stairways and other locations given in IBC will meet the purpose of helping Fire department people to get into the building to fight the fire. But again I clearly want to understand why IBC has not given a separate section for requirement of Class II standpipe as given for Class I and Class III systems.

Let's not forget IFC and the biggest misuse of standpipes. Many years ago schools were having to fight against a fire pump because of a stage. (An actual stage and not a platform that an Architect mislabeled.) The class II has always been hit or miss. For the longest time, everyone placed 2½" connection (Class III) with reducer to 1½". These are just about gone. The code is behind somewhat in catching up with this. Remember seeing 1½" hose stations in Big Box retails? Most insurance companies are having them or have had them removed. It is all about getting the public out and giving the trained professionals the tools they need.
As you can see below, the IFC still requires standpipes on stages, but you can drop the Class to a II if sprinkled.

905.3.4 Stages. Stages greater than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) in area shall be equipped with a Class III wet standpipe system with 11/2-inch and 21/2-inch (38 mm and 64 mm) hose connections on each side of the stage.

Exception: Where the building or area is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system, a 11/2 inch (38 mm) hose connection shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 13 or in accordance with NFPA 14 for Class II or III standpipes.905.3.4.1 Hose and cabinet. The 11/2-inch (38 mm) hose connections shall be equipped with sufficient lengths of 11/2-inch (38 mm) hose to provide fire protection for the stage area. Hose connections shall be equipped with an approved adjustable fog nozzle and be mounted in a cabinet or on a rack.

Hope this helps.

R/
Matt

Matt:

This stage thing is funny. I have seen a few schools on the east coast that have mandated fire pumps because of this hose valve at the stage. I always argued the question of how is this different than a manual wet standpipe? Sure, there is going to be a pump, it is called the responding fire truck.

I have always treated those similar to a manual class I standpipe and just calculate to the FDC.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

There was commentary in the 03 or 06 IBC/IFC handbook that specifically stated a fire pump was NOT the intent. I do not have access to one at this time, but perhaps someone can light shed for us..??

Also, the hose thing. this also needs to be removed. Fire Fighters will NOT use a hose they have not tested/certified themselves. Their life actually depends on it....

R/
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back