Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classification FAA and EASA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you need to explain what you are trying to ask.

Usually we don't deal directly with foreign certification authorities. If I have an FAA STC and I want a EASA STC then I ask the FAA to approach EASA.
This way I take advantage of the fact that my modification has been approved/certified by the FAA.

The alternative is to take my modification (drawing and reports) to Europe, probably engage someone (or company) there familiar with EASA (though I guess I could apply directly to EASA). Then a separate STC would (eventually) be granted by EASA, without reference to the FAA STC.

Does this go anyways towards answering your question ?

What do you mean by "classification" of a modification ? Do you "Changed Product Rule" ??

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Hello,

@der8110 Thank you very much for this valuable information, this what i was searching !!
I'm not familiar with FAA process, what is the difference between EVL and ENG ?
Does it mean that if EVL is minor alteration-> a DAR can give the approval
and ENG Major alteration -> requiring the involvement of DAR and DER ?
Or am I completely mistaken ?

did you miss the definitions on page 4 ?

do you know the difference between an FAA DER and DAR ?

Are you in the US or Europe ??

Hello @rb1957,

I've seen the definition in page 5.
As I said I'm not familiar with FAA process. I'm working in a DOA (germany) in apprenticeship. I'm learning the FAA process, especially the processes when an operator wants to have an EASA Mode already approved in his aircraft validated in FAA
If I'm not wrong a DER is the equivalent of a CVE and a DAR the equivalent of HoA.

That's why I wanted to first understand and make sure that the EASA and FAA classifications are the same. However, on the EASA side we have the notion of minor and major(STC) which obviously seems to be different from the FAA which gives EVL & ENG & STC.

Also, I read the EASA-FAA TIP but its quite blury when you have never faced this kind of situation.

Your help and you knowledge is really valuable and I'm pretty sure that many people here would be interested by sharing in this topics :)

Thank you a lot

Yeah, the definitions are "legalistic" ... but in the situation you're talking about, this would be dealt with by your local (EASA) authority.

From my experience, you as an engineer should not deal directly with a foreign authority in the manner you describe. If someone has an STC issued by EASA and they was to get an FAA STC, then they approach their local (EASA) authority who will approach the FAA. It is possible that the FAA may content the holder or anyone familiar with the original STC to support their familiarisation (this happened to me with a Canadian STC I worked on, the holder had the FAA contact me directly to answer technical questions ... all very pleasant and cordial).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back