Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Classification of nuclear piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samedi

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2001
US
WHAT IS THE CRITERIA OF CLASSIFYING A PIPING AS CLASS 1/2/3PER ASME SECTION III ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that there is a universal msiunderstanding about Section III regarding classifying components. ASME Section III does not provide any criteria for classifying components. It provides rules to construct the component after the Owner has decided the classification of the component. The Classification criteria is determined from ANS code or the CFR. The criteria are based on the safety function of the component.

I hope this would help.

Thank you annguyen for your answer.
If you please tell me the name of the CFR code (like 10CFR 21) or the safety criteria set by it it will really be of help.
Thanking you again
Samedi

Dear BigAL,
I was unable to find the information in 10CFR.Would you please let me know the part number or give me the complete URL to go there ?
Thanking you for your response--the earlier one and the future,

Santanu

I think the rule is in Regulatory Guide 1.26 entitled "Quality Group Classifications and Standards for Water-, Steam-, and Radioactive-Waste-Containing Components of Nuclear Power Plants". This would let determine the quality classification of the system. From there, you would correlate back to the ASME class.

The web site at the NRC site does not have this RG online. But I think that is the one you should review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back