Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clay Tile Information Needed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRivard

Structural
Mar 23, 2006
US
Does anyone have, or know of a resource, for structural clay tile? I don't have a ton of experience with this stuff, other than observing it for pan and joist floor slab construction, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Rivard, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have run into clay tile when renovating old buildings. The clay tile was used with brick for bearing wall construction. Like all masonry, good in compression not so good in tension.

From contractor's:
difficult to drill for installation of epoxy anchors

"TILE ENGINEERING"
Handbook of Design
Harry C. Plummer
Structural Clay Products Institite, 1946

This is the bible of tile engineering. I don't know if it is still available. My copy has a page glued to it that says:"Presented with Compliments of the Ohio Brick and Tile Institute".

Steve, what excactly are you looking for in terms of clay tile. Its use as form for floors or walls. I have an old book that shows the desing of arched tile floors huge capaciities. Also I have had the pleasure of bracing it when it was used as a partition.

Let me know and I will see what i can do?

Thanks for the help with this. I've managed to order the book by Plummer, and I'm anxious to see what's in it.

Regards,
Steve Rivard, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back