Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clay X-ray Diffraction data XRD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidabook1

Civil/Environmental
Nov 2, 2012
GB
HI

I'm trying to analyse some clay material to determine it's mineralogy by XRD. Hopefully to quanitfy each constituent also. The material has been in our labs ofr a few years but I ran it through the XRD machine at our uni. I emailed the supplier and they've sent me XRD data they have for the same material though the test was undertaken last year so it will probably be on a different batch of material. Please see the attached scans of my data (background removed, bottom) and the manufacturer's (top). I'm just curious as to why, although they both exhibit the same general peaks, they're in different locations with regard to 2theta. Could this be because the x-ray source used by them was cobalt and I used copper? Could a different wavelength of x-ray source cause this? The manufacturer has also provided quantitative data of each constituent. Anyone with a learned eye looking at these two scans, do you think the composition of each constituent is similar for both materials?
Thanks
[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1445606645/tips/forum_pic_ep5dhk.bmp[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The patterns are pretty similar, as such the phase struction seems very similar. peak loccations, 2 theta, are determnoined by the wavelength of target. since Co has a bigger WL than Cu (1.79 vs 1.54), XRD pattern using Co target will shift to higher angles. also the distances of peak-to-peak will be increased for Co target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back