Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean your Flange Faces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneCold

Chemical
Mar 11, 2003
US
This is a simple question but I am not sure what most people do in this situation. Carbon steel flanges come painted. Even the raised spiral face is painted. Do you specify the face to be wire wheel cleaned or washed with a suitable solvent? This would ensure that the gasket has a clean surface to mate to the flange or do you just throw the spiral wound gasket in and go?
Maybe you specify unpainted faces on your flanges?

[bigears]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe I would wire brush the flange face to clean metal and then insert the spiral wound gasket (sounds like steam service?). It does not take much time to do this and you thus insure the best seating surface for the gasket. Painting the flange keeps it from getting rusted prior to your use of it so that's okay too.

If the flange faces are not painted, then they quickly develop superficial rust. Either way it is a good practice to have them shiny bare-metal before assembly. Flexitalic gaskets are really forgiving, but it is still a good practice to start with the best surface you can economically accomplish.

We always power wire-brush them, but never saw a need to try to clean them further with a solvent.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

Normally flange faces are left unpainted per all specifications I came across so far; however, they are protected against corrosion by the use of enviropeel type of products or plastic/wooden coverings to protect flange gramophone from physical damage. If they happen to become rusted due to lack protection, apply wire brushing followed by Acetone/CRC-555 spray and wipe the surface.

Regards,
Amin

sometimes the paint will have a small bubble or chip so yes use a file and wire brush on all flange faces before you bolt up ,its a good habbit and dosent take long.they dont have to be totaly cleaned down to the bare metal ,run your hand across the face and if its smooth to touch its good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back