Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning cast iron and steel parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tactical14

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2012
US
What is the best way to clean cast iron and steel before an item is assembled? Right now we're using sonic washers, but this is not getting the job done and is not very efficient as we have to load the parts into the cleaner then manually blow off the washer with shop air. Is there any new technology out there that will allow us to clean parts better than sonic washers can clean them? I essentially envision a small tunnel like washer that includes a heated wash, rinse and dry. I have a hefty budget and would like to know the leading manufacturers and/or pointed to literature that would be helpful. Thanks in advanced!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Restaurant flight (flite - think this is used as part of a trade name) style dishwasher. Hot water detergent degreaser. 140F + hot rinse for rapid drying. They come in all sizes. Might consider flash rust issue. Maybe add anti-rust to the rinse.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Yeah, but then you have to remove the sand...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What type of soil or contaminants are you wanting to remove? That information will help define the cleaning process.

Ultrasonic cleaning can be very effective for the type of work you are requesting. If that isn't working, there may be a straightforward process update that will provide the desired results.

There are many types of parts washers that have the different stages you mentioned. Contact some reputable sources, such as:

Durr

FMT

Jenfab

Walsh Manufacturing

CoryPad thank you for your response. I will check those manufacturers out. Is there any new state of the art cleaning processes out there? Or is sonic cleaning pretty much the best there is for this application?

We don't know the application, so we can't answer your last question accurately.

If you want state of the art, I guess that would by dry ice blasting, where solid CO2 grains are propelled at high speed toward the surface to be cleaned. Just like sandblasting, except there's no sand to be cleaned up; just whatever falls off.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

We have made several parts cleaning conveyors, tank washers and ultrasonic cleaning tanks with various drying mechanisms. It really is part specific.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back