Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning clothes by blowing 6 bar air

Status
Not open for further replies.

CostasV

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
GR
Does anyone have any real cases of accident that happened by blowing compressed air (about 6 bar) at someone's body or head in order to clean the clothes or the skin and the hair ? What are the dangers that this action (blowing air) brings ? Any links or other information would be apreciated.

Costas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was Safety Administrator for a company that did large amounts of metal work. We had significant trouble with employees cleaning up with air and getting metal dust in they’re eyes. The dust was very small and would go undetected by the employee until it began to rust. This caused serious problems. We also saw some problem with metal chips getting blown into eyes and had the risk of creating a hazardous atmosphere by blowing dusts containing heavy metals into the air. We installed small vacuums for employees to clean up with and eliminated these injuries and risks.

OSHA limits use of compressed air cleaning to 30 PSI in most cases. Six bar (87 PSI) is well over this limit. You can search the OSHA web site for “compressed air for cleaning purposes” and see letters of interpretation on this issue. FYI, the use of compressed air for cleaning purposes at pressures greater than 30 P.S.I. is permissible, if the outlet or source is fitted with a relief device that drops the pressure to less than 30 P.S.I. if the flow is dead ended. However, I do not recommend using compressed air for cleaning under any circumstances.

Take a look at the OSHA Letters of Interpreations. They can be found at
Below is a copy pertaining to your question.

J
anuary 14, 1994

Mr. Bruce W. Ensworth
IBG
121 Royal Drive
P.O. Box 1824
Forest Park, Georgia 30051 - 1824

Dear Mr. Ensworth:

Thank you for your inquiry of March 29, 1993 addressed to Virginia Simmons, Safety Compliance Officer in the Birmingham Alabama Area Office concerning the acceptability of using compressed air for cleaning an employee's body and clothing. We apologize for the delay in response.

Employers should not allow employees to use compressed air for cleaning themselves or their clothing in general industry situations. The eyes and other body parts, such as the respiratory system, may be damaged as the result of inadequate personal protective equipment, lack of chip guards, and/or uncontrolled release of compressed air.

The enclosed Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standard 29 CFR 1910.242(b) requires that compressed air used for cleaning purposes must be reduced to less than 30 p.s.i.g. (pounds per square inch gauge, 204 kpa). Compressed air used for cleaning must only be permitted with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment to protect the operator and other employees from the hazards of the release of compressed air and flying debris. Standard 1917.154, which addresses similar hazards in the maritime industry, explicitly prohibits the use of compressed air for personnel cleaning. While this particular requirement is not specifically applicable in the general industry setting, we recognize it as good practice for all industries.

Thank you for your interest in occupational safety and health. If we may be of further assistance please contact [the Office of General Industry Compliance Assistance at (202) 693-1850].

Sincerely,

Roger A. Clark, Director
Directorate of Compliance Programs

Costas;

This bit of trivia may be a little off the mark, but be aware that metal chips, in the eyes or imbedded in the body, as might be caused by high pressure air, are a real hazard to a patient receiving a medical MRI scan. The patient may not even be aware of the particles presence, but when the very strong magnetic field used starts to move them around they can cause some serious damage.

The first time I had an MRI they wanted to know if I was ever a sheetmetal worker, for this reason.

John C.

Alangator, safe, and steamboat444 ;

thank you for your replies. I did not know the limit of 30 PSI, which seems to me logical.

I have been told that there is another danger in cleaning your body with 6 bar air. If there is a discontinuity (cut) in the skin and the 6 bar air hits this area from a small distance and 45 deg angle, then the skin can be separated from the muscle. This separation is not recoverable. I have been told that this is similar to the way they remove the skin from lambs, goats etc. The guy that told me is the safety responsible in food industry in Greece.

I felt I should share this.

Regards to all
Costas

AND DONT FORGET THAT SAFETY AIR NOZZLES MUST INCORPORATE SIDE VENTS IF USED FOR DUSTING OFF.
ONE MORE THING ABOUT THE 30 PSIG, IS THAT NUMBER THE LINE STATIC PRESSURE OR VELOCITY PRESSURE COMING OUT OF THE NOZZLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back