Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning Laser Slats 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeg3

Industrial
May 27, 2009
US
What does everyone do for cleaning the slats or grating on their lasers? Or do you just throw them away when they get to bad or built up? Right now we take ours off and clean them off a couple times before we throw them out. I know trumpf makes a slat cleaner of some kind, Has anyone used one?...Know how much they cost?....If they work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They work well and cost $5000, last I've heard. I work on mostly Amada equipment. People that have them seem pleased. They are heavy, cumbersome and a work-mans comp claim waiting to happen but...

Some folks use copper slats. It sounds weird but they last and last. Slag doesn't stick to them. Stainless and Aluminum parts will have a mark if the laser bounces back from the top of the slat.

Thanks for the info!

I've heard of the copper slats before, I'm sure it would be expensive to get them made, Do they last long enough to make it cost effective?

How bad is the mark on stainless and aluminum parts? We do quite a bit of that material, and a lot of it is cosmetic, so we can't have much for marks on it.

Also, using welder's anti-spat spray will help keep the slag from sticking to the slats but it does nothing to prevent decay due to the laser beam actually hitting the slat itself and melting it. We just made a "rake" with small slots in it that when dragged across the laser slats knocks most of the larger slag off.

For big lumps of slag stuck on the slats, a bar of metal with a bend in the end and a slot that's as wide as the thickness of the slats works good. Just stick it over the slat near the end where there's no slag buildup and slide it down the slat to where the slag is, then lever it back, the 2 forks on either side of the slot in the end will pop the slag right off the top of the slat. Make a bar about 2 inches wide, about 18 to 24 inches long out of 3/8 steel. Cut a slot in the end about 2 inches long from the end, make a 45 bend right about where the slot ends 2 inches from the end. I'll post a diagram if you want. Have the operator use this a little bit between sheets.

yeah but with the trumpf slut cleaner. we ajusted the sluts drawings a little higher and now we change them every 6-8 month. with allmost every day 24 hour runtime.

I wipe down my cutting beds with WD-40, This makes clean up a breeze. The build up of laser spray comes off with the touch of your finger. Maybe this might work on lats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back