Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clear Alodine - Loss tangent and dielectric constant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBlaze

Electrical
Dec 2, 2005
US
Does anyone happen to have the loss tangent and dielectric constant for Clear Anodize?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clear Alodine. Perhaps Alodine 1500 per MIL-C-5541C, Class 3?

I'm not sure that reliable data exist for the loss tangent and dielectric constant. The only electrical property usually measured is the contact resistance for MIL-C-5541C, Class 3 coatings. The maximum contact resistances allowed are:
5000 micro-ohm/sq. in. (after 24 hrs cure at 70-90[sup]o[/sup]F, and
10 000 micro-ohm/sq. in. (as above, plus 168 hrs salt spray per ASTM B117).
See thread332-136478 for more info.
You can maybe figure out a dielectric constant from the resistance, measurement paraameters & coating thickness (extremely thin, I'll have to look it up).
Ken

RayBlaze,

Alodine is a very thin metal pretreatment based either on chromate or new titanium-bearing compounds. In general, Alodine has "medium" resistivity.

Anodizing is a process that creates an oxide layer from the base metal. It can be thin (but still much thicker than Alodine) or thick. In general, it has high resistivity.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I didn't see your other post - you obviously copied the message and didn't change Anodize to Alodine.

I don't have specific data for you.

Since the samples are easily obtainable, and since the testing is simple, why not generate the data yourself?

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back