Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Clear, Flexible Sealant for Low Surface Energy Plastic (PET / PVC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BangHaus

Electrical
Aug 25, 2019
US
Hi,

I am working on a product that uses a backing made from clear semi-rigid plastic. I can use either PET or PVC. The product will have some electronics on the plastic backing, and I need a clear, flexible sealant to cover the electronics and waterproof the whole thing. It will be used outside.

I've tried a rubberized coating - Rustoleum LeakSeal Clear - but it is perhaps too flexible. If you begin peeling it, you can easily peel it all off.
I've also tried an oil based polyurethane intended for outdoor use. That may not be durable enough. I can scrape it off with a fingernail.

Ideally, I'd like to find something that is flexible enough to bend with the backing, can be applied with a paint sprayer, is durable, can handle temperatures down to -40F, and is not too expensive.

I'm also going to try acrylic enamel. Don't know if that will be flexible enough.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before you try coatings that do not adhere:
Look at Corona/plasma treatment of the surface before applying your coatings. This will prepare the plastic for the adhesive, and perform much better.

PVC is much more bond-able than PET, try using something like clear Plasti-Dip spray. PlastiDip is also a PVC material and thus will solvent weld to a PVC substrate. The clear PVC and the coating will both be susceptible to UV damage, but you didn't list that as a criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back