Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clevis capacity and tension rod 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmrdata

Structural
Oct 19, 2010
US
I'm using a 4" rod to take up to 200 kips of axial force (service load). However, AISC table only goes up to #8 clevis with a capacity of 135 kips (safe working load with a safety factor of 5:1). Could anyone share your experience on how you deal with this situation, or if you know of any fabricators I can talk to?

Also, is it doable to specify a 60 foot long tension rod (right hand threaded at one end and left hand threaded at the other) without any turnbuckle in between?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cleveland City Forge is our vendor for clevises and turnbuckles. Largest we've used is for a 2" rod, but I suspect they have done larger.

Shipping on a 60' rod would probably be prohibitive. It is also much easier to tighten a rod through a turnbuckle than to try and take all of the slack out only at the clevises. You might take a look at coupling nuts to join shorter lengths of rod together, but they don't offer the slack adjustment potential of a turnbuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back