Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Climate data - what metric describes "coldest temp. a few days in a row"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinLe

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2012
DE
When designing biogas plants, One thing I want to know is the lowest temperature to size my heating for (so that at said temp. I get enough power into the substrate to compensate for losses through the tank walls). K Values etc. are all known.
To size my heating system I usually take the average from the coldest month and subtract another 10 - 15 °C (more in mountains and far inland, less if a plant is near a coast).

I don't care for short term cold-spike, I have tanks with 2-3000m³ mostly water, this is enough thermal mass that I don't worry about a cold night. But what common metric describes "the average over the coldest few days in a row in month x" that I can look up somewhere?

How have others solved this problem? Also, what climate databases do you use? I mostly used so far (monthly averages and precipitation).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not an official term, but I'd call it something similar to 7Q10 for low stream flows, like 7T10 meaning the 7-day average low temperature that has a 10-year return period or 10% annual chance of occurrence. Could be 3T2, 3-day average low temperature with a 2-year return period, or whatever combination you are looking for. It is easy to calculate in excel with historic temperature data. Calculate a running X-day average temperature, and count how many times that average falls below a certain value divided by the number of years of record. There is even a program called EPA DFLOW that does this for stream flow data. Data is data though; the program doesn't consider units of measure so it should work equally for temperature data and stream flow data.

DFLOW:
Places to look for temperature data (at least for US):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back