Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clinching Sheet Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidLeech

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2004
IE
I am looking for a system of seam joining 2 layers of Mild Steel(each layer 1mm thick). Currently this is done with a "Tox" portable clincher but as the length of the joint is 6 metres, (18 feet approx)and the machine only does one clinch at a time, the time involved is excessive. For various reasons the use of seam welding or adhesives is not practical. The joint is generally located 2-4 inches in from the edge of the material.

Is anyone aware of a practical system of creating a long joint using some sort of mechanical zipping/clinching. I am trying to avoid consumables. I guess the ideal solution would be some sort of power tool that would travel along the edge of the material and create the joint.

Anyone any ideas?

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you need is a 'Pittsburgh lockseam', or any of the variations thereof, commonly used to join sheetmetal heating ducts. Look in the right tool catalog, and you can find tooling and machinery to form the edges to be joined, and to draw them together and lock them.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back