Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closed corner [Sheet metal] 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PioniSensei

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2013
NL
Good day fellow Catians!

I have just started using Catia V5R16 because one of our clients requires us to model the machine we are making in it.
Yesterday I encountered a problem with compatibility regarding the conversion of solidworks models (my colleagues design the machine in solidworks with which they are familiar) to Catia.

In solidworks there is an option called "closed corners". This makes the the newly added flange on a sheetmetal part a bit wider to close the corner off.
I would like to know if there is such an option in Catia V5R16 (with or without some added modules).
I want this:
partsw.png

instead of this:
partcatia.png

Thanks in advance!
PS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i doubt that it can do it automatically, as there are a lot of enhancements in swx every release just like that, but catia is more rigid i suppose.
just do it manually. check how it's done in swx and recreate in in catia.

Hi,

SW and CATIA are just tools...how do you create in real life the part shown in first picture? Even the one did in CATIA is not looking really good, it will crack at the corners without a hole (and bending will be not so easy...).

You need to rethink how to create the part (eventually use stamping).

Regards
Fernando

Double-click the wall on edge features in the tree, and move the "left" or "right" manipulators towards each other, this will calculate into a similar geometry as the SolidWorks closed corner function.

Thanks Kevin I think that is what I need.
We do have some STEP files from our client which have these types of sheet metal parts. as they originated from CATIA as well, I presumed it was able to do this too.
Thank you for your suggestions and help!

no need to extend on each side, just use closed bend option.

download.aspx

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back