Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closed form solutions for Mohr-Coulomb half space

Status
Not open for further replies.

awa5114

Structural
Feb 1, 2016
NL
Unfortunately I have not received assistance for this problem so far but I will attempt re-formulating it.
2DWavePropagationGraphicRigid_ore112.jpg

Loading: 1 kPa downward (constant)
Const. model for soil medium: Mohr-Coulomb
Analysis: Dynamic
duration: 1 second
state variables: Displacement, Velocity and acceleration

I have 2 numerical packages that I am using. One of them is Plaxis2D. The results I am getting from both are drastically different. I have checked everything: From geometry to mesh size to material parameters and it all corresponds for the two numerical packages. Of course one would expect for there to be a difference but in my opinion this is too different.

I would like to explore options outside the current two programs I am using. Namely analytic closed form solutions. A baseline to compare with. Something to give me an idea what the displacement, velocity and acceleration would need to be without requiring high level math that would take months to implement. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The idea is not to find the source of discrepancy but rather to have a "feel" for what the results need to be prior to running the analysis. I think this problem could be solved analytically but that would take a lot of math. What simplified methods can one use to find the displacement, acceleration and velocity at every point in the medium if this is a mohr-coulomb behaving material. If that is impossible maybe a static solution could provide some insight? If so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back