Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Closure/Tie-in joint NDEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

athilatt

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2009
US
Hi All,

There are a couple of Tie-in/Closure joints to be welded in the project, I am involved right now. No possibility of Leak test/Hydrotest.
Project spec is ASME B31.3(100% RT),and
I would like to know is there any requirement of UT and cut bevel MT/UT,additional to RT specified by the Code.
I couldn't see that requirement in B31.3..am I right..

I have done earlier UT,cut bevel MT additional to RT in other projects,but that was as per project spec.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What materials are being welded together?

For the old-to-new piping welds it's good practice to UT the old piping before cutting just to ensure proper wall thickness for welding. After the cut, PT the prep/bevel on the old piping as well as the root weld. Then, RT the final.

I'll see if I can find it documented. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bonswa.
Thats a good engineering practice,you mentioned.The project specs usually mention the same. However, I couldn't see the same in ASME B 31.3.

Thank Bonswa for the tie-in information.

I am working on small bore tie-in 1" to 1". Spec say socket weld.Servie is bleed gas 40 psi and 500F.

The tie in is for pressure sensor. I am asking if it is ok to cut the pipe and install a 1" SW tee and call both SW "closure weld".

Other options are:

1. Flange + tee +flange
2. block valve + tee + block valve

I am asking what is the general practice for small bore tiein.

Thanks.

--It boils down to simple math--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back