Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMU Flush Wall Pilaster Ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagine18

Structural
Nov 20, 2003
US
I have a 20ft tall 8" cmu wall with a 2" eccentric point load on it at the top. I have run the design based on Amrhein's book and have determined that I need (2)-#5 verts right below the bearing plate. My question is - how do I know if I need to specify lateral ties around those (2)-#5 verts? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ties are required only for comression reinforcement.
Ref ACI 530-02: Pilasters, section 2.1.7.2 - Where vertical reinforcement is provided in pilasters to resist axial compressive stress, lateral ties shall meet all applicable requirements of section 2.1.6.5,(lateral ties in columns).

I did see that section in the code. So, are the ties required because I have a moment due to axial(compressive) load. therefore it is compressive reinforcement? I guess I am asking what is the definition of compressive reinforcement.

The effective width of the wall resisting the point load is width of the bearing plate plus four times the thickness of the wall.
Distribute the vertical load and the moment due to eccentricity over this effective width of the wall. For walls subjected to axial load + flexure, reinforcing is normally required only for tension due to bending and therefore ties are not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back