Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CMU to Steel Dimensions

JAV72

Structural
Jan 27, 2012
US
I've sent out a project that is a load bearing CMU structure that has a basic bar joist supported floor and roof system and two columns in a location where masonry wasn't practical. Every wall is dimensioned to the face (inside and out), every building corner is dimensioned, every wall thickness (CMU is backing up brick) is dimensioned. I have received an RFI stating that I need to provide the center-to-center dimensions for the CMU for the detailing to be done. I pushed back, I've never done this in my 28 years in structural engineering, and I was flatly told that the steel will not be detail without those dimensions as they refuse to calculate the center-to-center wall dimensions for fear of error/liability. I've never put grids on a load-bearing wall building of any type (wood, CMU, Precast, CIP). I will provide the dimension that they ask for, but I can't help but be a little incredulous. Am I out of line thinking that they are just balking for no good reason? Give it to me straight, I can take it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AISC Code of Standard Practice said:
4.2. Fabricator Responsibility 4.2.1. Except as provided in Section 4.5, the fabricator shall produce the approval documents for the fabrication and erection of the structural steel and is responsible for the following:
(a) The transfer of information from the contract documents into accurate and complete approval documents
(b) The development of accurate, detailed dimensional information to provide for the fit-up of parts in the field

I would expect that you provided a detail for the joist seat bearing on the CMU. If said detail is dimensioned to the center of the wall then I can see where they are coming from.
However, my firm also gives only dimensions to the face of wall since these are more appropriate in the field.
Personally, I think that a lot of these issues arise from the fact that almost all steel detailing has been outsorced.

Thomas

JAV72 - you're spot on. If the detailer is incapable of a simple 28' - 7.625"/2 = 27'8 3/16", then they need to find a new detailer. It sounds like you provided all the necessary dimensions. Now they need to detail it and use some simple arithmetic to get any other dimensions they need.

Back