Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CNC Lathe cutting oil vs Water-sol coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capntom

Mechanical
May 22, 2003
US
My company has just purchased a Citizen L20 CNC Lathe for small parts. We spec'd a High pressure "cool Blaster" oil delivery coolant system with a "mist collection system".

I have been out of machining for a few years and thought the trends were going towards Water-sol type coolants, any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been years since I've use oil coolant. I just know its much better on the machine. Probably don't get the bacteria growth either. If the mist collection works correctly there shouldn't be alot of coolant loss that way either. I hate all these water mix coolants especially the synthetics, some are down right hazzardous.

Generally speaking using water soluble fluids allows you to run faster and produce more parts per unit time than running with straight oil. With your high pressure high volume fluid delivery system you are going to atomize the oil and set up the potential of a spark spoiling your productivity -- yes I know that there are synthetic oils that have very high flash points but unless the tooling or material drive you to that it will not be cost effective. In general the faster you go and the harder your materials are the more effective fluids with high cooling are at low SFPM and with soft gummy materials fluids with higher mechanical (more oil like higher concentrations in soluble oils) work better.

Here is a link that may provide some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back