Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNC Machining of Large Invar tooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolingcomp

Aerospace
Jan 2, 2008
US
Hi, anyone know of a tooling company or otherwise whom specializes in the forming and machining of Invar Tooling? I have found STADCO but want to obtain some other recommendations. We would like to machine a couple of production uav molds.

I have came across but have not heard too many good things about there attention to detail and lead times. Anyone found out differently? Do they just do composites or do they do invar?

Thanks for any info,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

North Coast Tool and Mold
does invar molds (although specializes in steel/alum).

One-sided lay-up tools or closed-molds? They may be too big for us though.

Is there a specific reason you require invar tooling?

--Jay

Thanks Jay, The program is early in the development (a uav) and suspect the tools to be approximately 30 to 40 ft long and one-sided lay-up tools. The customer will most likely request invar tooling for production.

Companies with large scale milling machines seem hard to come by. Was informed today Scaled Composites has a fairly large CMS machine and also Brammo in Oregon
Also, Rocky Mountain Composites is highly recommended. Sounds like they have developed a proprietary tooling concept for constructing composite fuselages for business jets.

Well, when you want to get some ROM pricing and quotes, it can't hurt to have as many sources and as much input as possible. I strongly suggest you to at least talk with us and we will work with you.

As I mentioned we specialize in metal tooling mainly for the aerospace industry, and our sister-company, north coast composites, can perform tool-verification parts if those services are needed.

We have built large and segmented (if necessary) tools before. One of our larger mills has around 5ft x 12ft travel, and is made for high-speed metal contour cutting. While this is probably smaller than some machines you will find, there is also a difference between machines that are made to cut foam or light-duty materials and those that can cut invar and steel. I don't know what tolerances you have, but we can work to very tight tolerances, +/- .001 to .002 even on large scale parts.

-- Jay

Invar tools are very durable but there are drawbacks.
They are:
very expensive to make
require long lead times (sometimes 6 months or more)
very heavy, which may require special forklifts
very high thermal mass which requires energy to heat and results in low heat-up rates which can cause cure problems.

As a result carbon fiber/bismaleimide tooling is becoming popular. BMI tolerates the thermocycling well, weighs 10% of an invar tool, and can be made far more quickly.
A master model can be made from plaster or machined from monolithic graphite (which is very easy to machine)and then BMI tools are cured on the master model.

ACG makes BMI prepregs for tooling

Coast composites can machine masters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back