Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNC tapping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mielke

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2009
US
if you tap a hole in a cnc vertical mill about half way down and for some reason have to replace the tap and put a new one in the tool holder.

Would anyone try to finish the hole in the mill even if you try to align the new tap with the orientation of the old one. or would you have to take it out and hand tap it to finish?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd finish with hand tapping. With Rigid Tapping you'd be lucky to pick up the thread. With a floating tap holder you might have a chance. Even so, hand tapping a thread that is already started is easy.

I don't have much tapping experience. What exactly is a floating tap holder and how does it allow you to re-tap a hole in a mill?

A floating tap holder has an internal splined connection, so there is some axial compliance. I.e., once the tap grabs, the tap will feed at a rate governed by the tap's pitch; the spindle does not need to feed at the same rate, since it can't push on the tap until the tapholder runs out of stroke.

So if you change taps in the middle of a CNC program, and restart at that hole, a floating tap holder MIGHT allow the tap to pick up and complete the partially tapped hole instead of milling it out. ... whereas rigid tapping is more likely to both screw up the hole and break the new tap.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back