Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CNCma Brake Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicycling

Industrial
Jun 28, 2007
US
Hi,
I recently started work at a sheet metal fabrication company. We have CNC brakes, made by the LVD strippit company, which we are currently using almost like manual brakes, because that is what the people on the floor know how to use. No engineers have taken the time to figure out the CNC capabilities to their fullest. Our current process for making a new part (I know so much of this is backwards and I am working on changing that):
1. Designing the 3d model for outside dimensions (solidworks)
2. Calculating our bend allowance through use of sample parts
3. Re laying out the part in autocad, applying the bend allowance to get the flat pattern, exporting to the laser cutter as a DXF.
4. Cutting it.
5. Manually programming each bend on the CNC Brake, with more test pieces to get it right.

The reason for a lot of this is that the software built into the brakes for CAD design, is very simple and does not seem to support the complex parts we need to make. However, it says that it is possible to import the 3d model from solidworks and have this program unfold it, with its database of bend allowances, but no one has taken the time to learn it, and as that is what I am planning to do I wanted to consider the other possibly more simple options.

Does anyone know of an add in to solidworks, for CNC bending? I would like to be able to program the brake from a little add in to solidworks, that would automatically set the back gauges and pressure and tell the operator what tool and die to use. Or if any one has any resources on manually programming the g-codes for CNC Brakes, that would be a start. I am sure too that I can extract much of that information from the databases embedded in their software, but would like to avoid programming a plug in myself.

I am sorry for such an involved question, any answers would be helpful.
Thanks,
Xander

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really what you asked but I believe the sheet metal function in Solid Edge may do most of this for you.

You can unfold in SE, and export flat pattern as DXF.

Not sure how good the bend rads are.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Yes that is what I have been doing, for the laser cutter is exporting the DXF from the flat pattern drawing, but I would like to go directly from the solid model (sheet metal) to a CNC Brake program, along with a flat DXF. It sounds a lot more complicated then I think it is, but I can't find any sort of add in to do it or nothing that seems to work that closely with solidworks. I have looked into solid edge a little bit but if they could do something like this it would be worth looking into again.
Thanks,
Xander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back