Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CO2 + Acid Gases Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRLAKE

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2006
US
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some direction on a unique gas compression application. I need a compressor (small at first for research pilot plant) to compress a mixture of gases about 50 PSI with an inlet pressure of either 100 PSIG or 250 PSIG. The final design will be a constant inlet pressure. We are exploring economic factors between 100 PSIG inlet and 250 PSIG inlet pressures.

Here are the rest of the details:

-Pulling from a sulfuric acid reactor / vessel (either 100 or 250 PSIG)

- Composition: primarily CO2 (90%) with the remaining 10% being a mixture of other acid gases: hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, dimethyl sulfide, diethyl sulfide.

- Estimated flow rate is 11 gms / min

-Temperatures at inlet estimated at 200 Degrees Celcius

I was leaning towards a liquid ring vacuum pump like a SiHi. However I am thinking the high inlet pressures will not work well with this design.

Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A liquid ring vacuum pump will likely suffer from acid build-up in the sealing liquid and associated problems. An economic judgement for s short term project. Likewise a non-API 618 reciprocating machine would suffer from acid lub oil. Dependant on your flowrate you could try a dry rotary screw or turbo-axial compressor, with the materials selected for acid gas. If its a pilot plant and low flowrate you may have to recycle and cool this.

Thanks for the input jadow. I am also looking at Haskell gas amplifiers. Their engineers were confident at first...haven't heard back from them since.

Do you have any rotary screw or turbo-axial compressor vendors that you would recommend?

The 200C inlet temperature could be a problem, but Atlas Copco make both turbo-axial and rotary screw. Howdens also make a good rotary screw. I do not understand your flowrate units of gms, but low flow will require a recycle and/or slidinf valve turndown on the rotary screw.

This is a really difficult application. The flow is very low, inlet temp is hot, the gas is nasty, and there's lots of contaminants. Even the smallest SiHi is probably far too oversized for your app. Although it is a good app for a screw compressor, oil contamination may be an issue. Check with Howden, Mycom or Frick. You could also contact Sullair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back