CO2 dissolution required contact time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike4chemic

Chemical
Oct 9, 2004
IL
Hello All,

I check a feasibilty to inject a non-condensable gas (mostly CO2)into a water pipeline in continuous mode. The goal is to attain the complete dissolution of CO2 in water and further injection of carbonated water (as a single phase)undeground.
Based on my estimation at the given pressure, temperature and the water/gas ratio, there is a thermodynamic feasibility of the complete CO2 dissolution into the flowing water. The big question is how quickly it will happen ?
Is it possible to predict how far from the gas injection point, in terms of the pipe's diameters,thus the complete CO2 dissolution can be reached? Are there any empirical correlations/rules of thumbs, which allow to predict it, assuming there is a static mixer at the CO2 injection point.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think there's a shortcut for mass transfer calculations. Perhaps someone in the bottling industry would have a rule of thumb to use, but your situation will vary with CO2 partial pressure and what else is in the water affecting the pH.

And the gas solubility of water is higher when the water is colder, so Temp will be a major factor.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back