Coating defect assessment - ASTM D 661 – 93

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_fa-q

Industrial
Nov 9, 2021
ES
Hello all

I just received a report indicating a failure (crack) on a plastic part after UV testing. However, the evaluation of the crack is done according to ASTM D 661, which is a standard for coatings (not very sure why the lab uses this standard). The report indicates the type of the crack is A9. I have checked the standard and it refers to a book, Pictorial Standards of Coating Defects Handbook, but I have no access to the book, actually after googling I do not think I have any way to check or purchase the book.

Is there anyone there who knows how to get to the book, or knows what A9 type stands for?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A9 is the photo reference from this handbook.
You can see examples in Figure 1 of ASTM D661.
There is no much description because the assessment is subjective only and there is no available bias.
It's a way to set a point of reference in case the defect gets assessed by another lab.
I personally prefer quantitative assessment using microscopic or macroscopic measurements and description of the defect, but this requires highly skilled lab technicians!

* Finding a solution is great * Knowing how to implement it is fantastic * Believing it is the only one and best is naive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back