Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coating Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

hctan

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2020
SG
Hi, I'm looking for a material which can coat onto raw tinplates and this material must be able to:
1. resist 5 % acid content
2. have solvent resistance (i.e. MEK, MIBK, Ethyl Acetate)
If anyone has any knowledge or experience about this, I welcome your help on this. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi MJCronin, to be more specific, it is steel plate coated with a layer of pure tin on both sides. Tin coating is typically 2.8g/m2 while total thickness, including the steel, is typically around 0.25mm. This material is used to produce metal can containers for paint, oil, chemical and food industries. Thanks.

Hi Compositepro, you are right to a certain extent. What we do is a 2 step process. First the tinplate in a big sheet form is coated and cured. After completion of the various manufacturing processes, when it gets finally formed into a can shape, a 2nd step of coating is applied to the weld seams. Typically the material for this 2nd step is different in the sense that it should cure be a fast air-cured type. So I would need the recommendation of 2 types of coating material to suit my purpose. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back